Sunday, October 11, 2020

Day 31

Finally made it to church today. So different now with the COVID-19 restrictions. Missed seeing everyone's smiling faces with the masks. I put in prayer requests for my little sister who'll be having back surgery, my parents who have moved and are house-hunting, and my friends who are traveling for work during this pandemic. Rev Linda continued her sermon series "I Will Press on Toward the Goal". Today she talked about how people need to see the blessings around them. Reminded me of my car accident. Whenever someone asked how I was doing I'd reply, "I'm still alive, so I must be doing something right." They always thought I was joking, but the truth was I was barely surviving. After the accident, most of my friends realized I was no longer physically able to help with their needs so I was no longer worth having as a friend. My best friend moved half way across the country. The church I was attending at the time started acting as if I wasn't worth their time. I was a nursing home patient twice, first time was when I turned 40. Spent my birthday playing bingo. I was extremely miserable. I was barely surviving. By the time I had my second surgery, my parents called around to churches in my area that had a bus, so Chloe and I could get a ride. I befriended our new pastor. Linda used to be a foster parent to special needs children and offered to take Chloe while I went back into the nursing home. That was awesome. She understands her and her needs, plus I got to see Chloe a couple times a week. Chloe stayed with my parents in Chicago during my first surgery and nursing home stay, so I rarely saw her then. Having her close the second time helped me mentally and emotionally. Having a church and friends who had my back made things better. I am eternally grateful to Rev Linda and First Christian Church. I've had 4 surgeries in the past 6 years and 2 months (with more to go). After every surgery I gained weight. As I healed, I lost. Of course I gained more each time, made it harder to lose. I finally decided to get help, I was close to 400. My Ortho doc has given me a year to lose 130 pounds if he's going to give me new knees. At first, I was overwhelmed and not sure if I could. Then I realized how blessed I am to be given the tools to do so, I have a medical team to tell me the correct and safe way with my Celiac, and I have my own cheer squad. I am so blessed to have all of you to point out my positives and not my negatives. Because of you, I know I can "press forward to my goal". Thank you. When you get a chance, please watch Rev Linda's sermon from this morning. Have a blessed week. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=326750121948535&id=207127539313711

No comments:

Post a Comment